Thursday, June 30, 2011

Coming to America


The first two years of my parents marriage were spent living in Germany. After only one year of marriage, my older sister was born.  Around this time, my great uncle and his wife were living in Chicago. They had immigrated many years earlier.   While in Germany, my parents had played around with the idea of moving to the United States.  Now, my father wasn't as thrilled with the idea, but had a tendency to trust my mother's instincts. To this day, my mother still makes all the major decisions.  My parents have explained to me that the process to come over to the states was as simple as sending a letter to my great uncle, where in turn, he offered them a place to stay.  So, they boarded a plane in 1975 and were on their way to discover life in America!  

Soon after, my mother, only 21 years old, and my father, who had just turned 30,  came to the United States without any knowledge of the English language. Not to mention that my older sister was barely a year old.  My uncle and aunt's apartment was not very big and definitely not big enough to accommodate a mother and father and their young child.  As my parents had to tolerate shutting the lights off by 8 o'clock to help energy costs, my uncle and aunt had to tolerate a crying baby.  This living situation was not quite what either of the families expected. 

Once my parents were settled into their new home, it was time to look for work.  My father was the first to find a job because my mother needed to care for my sister.  Now looking for a job required finding an employed Croatian and hoping this person would offer to help.  Unfortunately, it took asking a few people for someone to finally say yes.  Every time I saw this man while growing up and up until his death, the first thing my parents would say is "He helped your father."  In just a few words, this meant he was the reason why we were clothed, fed, had a home, an education; a life in America.

Many of the Croatian immigrants knew either a family member or friend living in the United States.  These people would provide a temporary home until the person who immigrated found a job.  Later in their lives, these now U.S. citizens would always remember and be grateful for the help. 

All content © Marija Jurcevic 

No comments: