Sunday, August 7, 2011

Defining American

A recent episode of the Colbert Report caught my attention. Jose Antonio Vargas, a prominent journalist, discussed his decision in “coming out” as an undocumented immigrant.  Vargas was 12 when his mother put him on a plane from the Philippines to live with his grandparents in California to give his son a better life. This better life, “American Dream,” is not an uncommon theme with many immigrants.
What was most noteworthy was his discussion about feeling “American.” Vargas’ 20 years in the U.S. allowed him enough time to assimilate to the dominant culture.  The music, movies, books, language, mannerisms, his absorption to simply the norms of society helped define him as American.  So, as he turned 16 and was awaiting his drivers license at the DMV, like most American teenagers,  he quickly learned that his green card was invalid. His whole identity turned on its side.  Since that day, he averted his attention to “never give anyone reason to doubt [he] was American.”

Growing up I heard a lot of reference from my parents regarding anything they viewed as different or ethnocentric to their own culture as being “American.”  Croatians were the ingroup, everyone not Croatian was the outgroup.  I really don’t believe this is very uncommon with other immigrant groups. In the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, writer/actress Nia Vardalos references this exact point within the Greek culture.  She portrays the Greek immigrant father as very proud of his nationality. He emphasizes the importance of Greek culture, facts about Greek culture, even American words that stem from Greek culture to anyone that would listen.  This is very similar to my own upbringing. This sense of pride for the Croatian culture. Yet, I was also part of the dominant culture by going to public school, hanging out with non-Croatian friends, speaking English, displaying the norms of the dominant culture, being “American.” While my parents reasons for being stricter than my friends’ parents was because my friends were “American” also meant that I was not American.  At least that’s what I thought I was supposed to feel, but I didn’t. I felt my parents were being unfair and didn’t understand because they were the immigrants, they were different.

As I got older, I began to question their, and my own, understanding of how defining what is “American.” When my parents comment on why I eat out at restaurants, go on trips other than to Croatia or when my opinions differ from theirs, my assumption is their judgment that I am being American.  My parents have American citizenship, but don’t consider themselves as American. Again, Vargas spent twenty years of his life being trying to prove that he belongs here, with all the other Americans.  How does someone then demonstrate appropriate “American” behavior?   


All content © Marija Jurcevic  

No comments: